SOUTH EASTERN KENYA UNIVERSITY is a fully-fledged Public University which was awarded Charter on 1st March, 2013 by His Excellency Hon. Mwai Kibaki, the former President of the Republic of Kenya and Commander in Chief of the Defence Forces.
The University Main Campus is located in Kitui County in a serene and conducive learning environment, 12 Kilometers off Kwa Vonza Market, along the Kitui-Machakos main road.
SEKU has witnessed tremendous growth and currently offers various certificate, diploma, undergraduate and post graduate programmes. The University has other campuses namely Kitui Town Campus, Machakos Town Campus, Wote Town Campus, Mtito Andei Campus and Nairobi Town Campus.
The University Academic programmes are offered in the following schools:
- School of Pure and Applied Sciences
- School of Business and Economics
- School of Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences
- School of Information and Communication Technology
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Water Resources Science and Technology
- School of Environment and Natural Resources Management
- School of Education
- Institute of Mining and Mineral Processing
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Engineering & Technology
The University currently has about 6,000 students registered in the various campuses with the bulk of them being at the University main campus.
The University has employed qualified teaching members of staff and has invested heavily in infrastructure to offer quality learning, teaching, research and innovation. The majority of the academic members of staff have at least a PhD degree.